If the referendum passes, is there a way for me to receive any property tax relief?

If the referendum passes, property owners may be eligible from the State of Minnesota for a “Special Refund” of their property tax payments if they increase over a certain percentage.

Under state current law, the special refund requirements include:

  • There are no income restrictions
  • You owned and lived in the same home on January 2 of each year
  • Your home's net property tax increased by more than 6% in one year
  • The net property tax increase was at least $100
  • The increase was not because of improvements you made to the property

Program requirements are subject to change by the state. The refund is claimed on the MN Homestead Credit Refund form M1PR, it can be completed and filed electronically directly on the Department of Revenue website.

Show All Answers

1. Why is the City putting forward an investment plan for the park system at this time?
2. What is the plan the City is proposing to voters?
3. Who came up with this plan?
4. Will my taxes increase all at once?
5. If the referendum passes, is there a way for me to receive any property tax relief?
6. Will the City use local contractors for this project if the Parks Referendum passes?
7. Can't we wait a few more years to make improvements?
8. Have Apple Valley residents been involved in the planning process?
9. Why aren't there detailed drawings of the proposed new construction?
10. How much will this Parks Referendum cost and how will it be funded?
11. What are the other funding sources the City plans to use?
12. What is happening with the new Youth Baseball/Softball Complex?
13. I thought the City was going to use synthetic turf for the Youth Baseball/Softball Complex?
14. What is happening at Redwood Park?
15. What is happening at Kelley Park?
16. Will the City be making strides to improve the environment?
17. If the Parks Referendum passes, what happens next?
18. What happens if the Parks Referendum isn't approved?